Saturday, March 27, 2010

I believe I can fly

This was a song I first heard on radio in early 1990s. Of course Michael Jordan's commercials during that period of time reinforced my memory of it. As is the case for many songs I like, I just know a few lines of its lyrics, and its main tune, I could never sing the song in full except "I believe I can fly, I believe I can touch the sky, I think about it every night and day, Spread my wings and fly away, I believe I can soar ....".

Ever since I graduated from Caltech in 1995, I had trouble finding a job. In 1997, I was a postdoctoral researcher at Caltech, looking for a permanent job. Many fellow students\postdoc I knew switched field from engineering to computer science and found jobs. I thought about changing field, but decided against it - I did not want to give up on Mechanical Engineering/Applied Mechanics - the field I studied, researched and worked in for 15 years - that was my expertise, that was where I could differentiate from others. I knew that all I needed was a chance to show off my expertise. I had several prospects in my field in academia and industry since late 1996 but did not land on any of them. I was anxious and worried.

One day in March of 1997, I heard this song on the radio at home, the apartment off Caltech campus, again:

" .....
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar ..."

How accurately it reflected my state of mind then. I could not keep back tears - how I wished I just had a chance to show that I could "fly" in my field.



" .......

See I was on the verge of breaking down
Sometimes silence can seem so loud
There are miracles in life I must achieve
But first I know it starts inside of me, oh
....

Hey, if I just spread my wings
I can fly
I can fly
I can fly
hey If I just spread my wings
I can fly Fly-eye-eye"


I stayed in the field of applied mechanics/mechanical engineering, I endured .

I just spread my wings

I can fly!




-------------------

Note: One can hear the song on youtube.com


"I believe I can fly"

I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I'm leaning on the everlasting arms

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar

I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly

See I was on the verge of breaking down
Sometimes silence can seem so loud
There are miracles in life I must achieve
But first I know it starts inside of me, oh
If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

Hey, cause I believe in me, oh
If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it
Hey, if I just spread my wings
I can fly
I can fly
I can fly
hey If I just spread my wings
I can fly
Fly-eye-eye

No comments:

Post a Comment