Sunday, June 5, 2016

Visiting Lisbon - Day 1 - by Lily

Lisbon, Portugal is not on my list of city to go yet, but opportunity calls, so here I am J

The day before I left home I started to panic. I realized that I had not traveled and toured all by myself ever, and I had no time to plan it yet. The day I left was the day Justin returned home from his 2-week tour in California, with a couple of his friends, without a car. My brave son set an example for me, so off I went, with a 15-page tour information on Lisbon downloaded on my phone.
            
Praça da Figueira
I glanced through the information and picked out a few places, a couple near downtown and a couple in longer distance. But knowing that I’d be arriving in Lisbon early in the morning, I forced myself to sleep as much as possible on the plane. It was a smooth run getting through the custom and checking in at the hotel. With a city map and metro map in hand, I was off exploring the city by 11am.

Terreiro do Paço

Santa Justa Elevator

Praça da Figueira

I took the subway to Rossio station to explore Lisbon downtown area (Baixa). The minute I stepped out of Rossio station, I saw Praça da Figueira (Square of the Fig Tree) in front of me. Following the crowd led me to the Terreiro do Paço (Commerce Square) near the Tagus River (Rio Tejo). The statue of King José I is in front of the Arch facing the Tagus River, glistening in the sunlight and looking grand. There are lot of activities on the square, music, performers, and of course food, a lot of food! Along the way I spotted the Santa Justa Elevator, there was a line of people waiting to get on to have a good view of the surrounding area. I decided to head uphill as I saw the tips of the towers there as I remembered from the tour brochure.

Terreiro do Paço

The winding roads uphill are much like San Francisco, there are also stairways to cut through the buildings, as long as you know the general direction you are heading. When in doubt, I just followed the tourists or tour bus route (tram track) J Sé Cathedral is in Romanesque style and solemn looking, the service was on and the music was touching. The National Pantheon was originally Church of Santa Engrácia, and currently entombed many of the illustrious Portuguese. The design was simply ingenious and magnificent. Reaching to the terrace on the 4th floor I had spectacular view of the city, from hilltop to the river. São Jorge’s Castle required some time to explore, the forte was extensive and intricate.

Sé Cathedral

Inside Sé Cathedral

Inside National Pantheon
Inside National Pantheon


Inside São Jorge’s Castle
São Jorge’s Castle

Heading down hill, I passed through the Alfama area, where street arts, café, and Fado music are everywhere. It reminded me the hutong in old Beijing J
Alfama
Alfama
Alfama
Back to the Commerce Square, I had my meal of the day, egg tart and sausage sandwich, two famous items in Portugal.


The city spread from hill top to Tagus River

São Jorge’s Castle

A city packed with red roof tops





No comments:

Post a Comment