Friday, March 14, 2014

On the Road - The Woodlands Waterway

I had a 4 day business meeting at the Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel and Convention Center the first week of March. The first night at the hotel I noticed that there is river with lighted trees behind the hotel. I was curious. I looked it up in a map. The river's official name is The Woodlands Waterway. It is connected to Lake Woodlands.  The next day the meeting ended at 4pm. There was still sometime until dinner. I decided to check the river out.


The waterway of Woodland at night

The Woodlands Waterway
There was few people along the waterway on this especially cold afternoon. The grass along river is unseasonably green, and the place emits a man made elegance.

There is a small garden right across the river from the hotel - the Koi Pond. It is a tiny garden with a gold fish pond. The water is so clear that the gold fishes seem to swim in the air!

The entrance to Koi Pond
Gold Fishes  in Koi Pond
I walked  east first from the hotel toward the highway 45. In about 15 minutes or so I reached the end of the waterway. A pedestrian bridge allowed me to cross the waterway, walking west. on the other side of the waterway from the hotel.

Unexpectedly I saw a big grey heron standing by the waterway. 

A grey Heron by the Waterway
The waterway is stopped by a dam  - the lower section is actually connected to Lake Woodlands. I was pleasantly surprised that there is a boat/kayak rental shop by the south end of the dam. A pavilion, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion - a unique outdoor performance space, is on the north end of the dam.   It must be a very busy place in summer here.

Lower section of Woodlands Waterway
The Grey Heron 
As I finished up the loop along the waterway, I noticed that the grey heron was still patiently standing by the river waiting for a fish to come.

If I have opportunity to come back to Woodlands for another meeting, I will bring my running shoes for morning exercise along the waterway, I will also bring my swimming pants and sandals for a sunset paddling toward Lake Woodlands.


No comments:

Post a Comment