Saturday, April 13, 2019

Lake Tahoe Skip Trip - on the road

Due to schedule conflicts and changed vacation preference of a family member, we did not went on on an annual skip vacation last year. However I was fixated in going to ski at lake Tahoe due to good snows there in the winter.  The original plan to go there in February was scraped due to severe winter storm.  I finally made the 4 day trip on April 5th. I took a 11 am flight from DFW to SFO, then took a commuter train to Berkeley to meet my son. We drove to South lake Tahoe, stayed at a Best Western hotel in town, which was a few hundred yards away from lake Tahoe's shoreline, and about half mile away from the gondola to get to Heavenly ski resort.

As the plane approaching bay area, I was pleasantly surprised  to see the green landscape. What a sharp contrast from just 5 months ago, when the whole state was in a 7 year long drought, the landscape was  in a sad brownish state everywhere I saw. Sustained wet weather has transformed the state since December. This was what the mother nature could do!
View of the bay and a bay bridge. It was cloudy when the plane approached SFO airport. In fact low clouds prevented my flight from taking off from DFW for 30 minutes. Typically Northern California is in dry season in April, and this year the rain just kept coming down 
I took the commuter train from SFO to Berkeley to meet my son for a drive to lake Tahoe that afternoon. When I got out of the train station, the cloud started to break up, sun shone through!
Our drive to south lake Tahoe was uneventful. The evidence of heavy snow in the winter was everywhere, especially the  snow wall by high way 50.
We arrived at our destination around 7 pm. We went to  "Hot pot" for a hearty dinner. We were ready to ski on the Heavenly ski resort's mountains, a little bit worried about the weather.  





No comments:

Post a Comment