Saturday, May 21, 2022

Working Jog in the Rain at MacRitchie

 A colleague from another division and I would like to have a get together. In place of a working lunch we chose to have a working jog at MacRitchie Reservoir Park since both of us like to jog in outdoors.

It was a cloudy day, not the best for scenery, but should be great day for jogging. I got there earlier and walked on the dam a bit, watching people kayaking, running or walking. 

A weather front was moving in. Mist started to form at west end of the reservoir.

Then it started to rain, sporadic rain drops here and there.

I walked to a Gazebo at the east end of the dam for shelter.

In a minute or so, siren sounded from the kayak/canoe rental shop, calling all kayakers return to shore. Many kayaks appeared on the water, seemingly from no where, paddling toward the launching dock.

My colleague, who arrived later than me, was looking for me on the dam in the rain. We finally met at the gazebo. 

clear lake before the rain arrived

the mist indicating the rain front

kayakers were called to return to shore as rain got heavier


it was pouring for a few minutes


Knowing the rain would go away in half an hour or so, we decided to wait it out. 

In the surrounding sound of rain, we talked about hiking trails in Singapore. Of course I mentioned about our recent hikes at the Deck in the woods of Alexandra, and in the Clementi Forest. He was enthralled.  

Time flew, and the rain turned to drizzle in no time.

Just then I heard a beautiful singing behind the gazebo, a middle aged man was walking in the drizzle and singing. I gave him a thumb up, he paused, I blurred out "I like your voice", he chuckled, and continued walking and singing.

We walked out of the gazebo toward the dam and the boardwalk on the south side of the reservoir. 

Our working jog started. 

I was surprised to notice the the reservoir level dropped a lot, about one meter from my previous observation. Many monkeys loitering on the dried up land. Despite frequent rains here, dry season had its toll!

water used to cover the dry land where monkeys were

We talked about work a lot during our 5km walk, but in the end he could not help returning the topic back to hiking :). 

Golf might be prevailing way for social at workplace. Working jog is one good format for me, to social with colleagues outside of office.  









No comments:

Post a Comment