Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sea Eagles, Crocodiles and Low Tide at Sungei Buloh

I went to Sungei Buloh Wetland nature reserve early this morning by myself, arrived at 7:30am.  It happened that today's low tide in the morning occurred at 8:07am. So this visit to Sungei Buloh was quite different from our previous three visits to the reserve. It was a unique trip.

Sea Eagles

The first thing that drew my attention was the eagle nest on a big tree by the visitor center, and there was a eagle stood in it. A photographer with a big lens on his camera told me that it was a baby eagle waiting to be fed, the parents were out hunting. After a while I heard a quaking sounds, which were the calls made by the adult eagles - white bellied sea eagles. A eagle flew out of the trees toward the coast. I did not wait for its return and started my hike on the coastline trail.

a babe eagle stood in the nest waiting for its parents to feed it

Later I saw eagles overhead many times. They soared over the Johor Strait, mostly solo, occasionally in tandem. One time I saw three eagles in the sky, with one chasing another  - not sure if the being chased eagle was an invader.

White bellied sea eagle soaring over Johor Strait

A pair of eagles


Fighting for territory?

Get ready to land or to catch a prey?

Low tide

Low tide produced a different view of the coastline and wetland. In particular the Buloh Besar river that divides the reserve into two part became a wetland with Egrets, Heron, and Sandpipers wandering in the shallow water. 



Buloh Besar River at low tide

a Sandpiper

Little Egret


Caught a fish!

Another strike

Because of low tide, the water was really shallow, I saw fishes swimming near surface, and jumping out of water frequently. 




 The marine life in the mud were exposed due to the low tide - I saw mudskippers, and mud crabs. mudskippers look like frog, but  they are actually fish! Mud crabs were hard to spot if they don't move, they look like a rock in the mud.

mud crabs

mudskipper


Crocodiles

At the start of my hike, near the Fantail pod, I noticed something in the water looked like the back of a crocodile. A photographer nearby confirmed it. The crocodile sank and swam away.  

It was a lucky day for me as far as crocodile watching was concerned. On the migratory bird trail, I saw a big crocodile in the shallow Buloh Besar river, and facing away. I stayed there watching for ~ 15 minutes, and it turned around, and swam toward my direction! What confused me a little bit was that the tail side of the crocodile had a wide, raised section. 

It then sank into water for a few minutes, and when it floated up again, it was right by the river bank. It did not climbing up in five minutes, I moved on.

Crocodile

Walking less than 50 meters way, I spotted a baby crocodile in the swamp!

A baby crocodile

 Birds

In addition to egrets, herons, sandpipers, kingfisher is  a common bird there. In fact there is a kingfisher pod on the coastline trail. I heard kingfishers' calls frequently and spotted them a couple times but did not caught them on camera until I was on the return hike.

I spotted Black-napped orioles a few times, sometimes a single bird, other times a pair, one following another.

A collared kingfisher 

 
Black napped oriole 

Hiking, watching, waiting, and chatting occasionally with other nature lovers, I spent five hours at the reserve, walking only 8 kms (5 miles). As I was leaving, the cloud broke up, the Sun shone, and the tide turned as well.

It was great morning in the outdoors.




Buloh Besar River near noon - high tide today was 2:46 pm




No comments:

Post a Comment