Sunday, May 4, 2014

Eating Right

I exercise regularly, eat early dinner with proper portion and my BMI is in the optimum range. However my numbers on Glucose and Triglycerides had been high, though still in normal range.

My doctor told me not to worry about the numbers because of my ethnicity and common food intake. Except intentionally reducing rice intake, I did not do anything special about my food. The non fasting glucose test result from a "fit for travel" physical exam in early April pushed me into action.

Immediate action on my part include: even less rice (starchy food), cut some of my favorite food: no more daily banana (high sugar), no more chips after work (starchy food), no more ice cream (high sugar).

From her research on diabetes diet, Lily quickly created a diet for me with healthy carbohydrates (fruit, vegetables, whole grains), high fiber food (fruit, vegetables, nuts, beans, peas, whole wheat flour), heart healthy fish. Fortunately for me - I love all these healthy foods.

A typical lunch she prepares for me would include:

a small portion of rice ( 1/3 ~ 1/4 of what I ate before) with a piece of tilapia fillet
a big bowl of salad (iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and strawberry)
a small bag of nuts (walnuts, pecan or almond)
an apple


Since I started this diet, I have no problem only eat the right things; and no chips, no ice cream, no problem.

I had my 2014 annual physical a month after I started this diet: my Triglycerides is about half my 2013 number! my glucose is 20  unit lower than last year, back to normal - without any medicine!

Lily was amazed at the outcome and could not believe that  diet only can make this change.

My explanation is that 1) Not many people can follow a diet like I do, and more importantly 2) I don't have diabetes. Prevention is much easier than correction.






No comments:

Post a Comment