Saturday, July 17, 2021

Flowers and Plants at Fort Canning Park - by Lily

I have heard many good things about Singapore before getting here. But what impressed me most during my first week of exploration is the tropical plants. Singapore reminds me of Tokyo with its city design. Although many commercial and residential buildings, it managed to have well maintained green spaces in between with big trees and beautiful flowers. Within walking distance of the hotel we are staying there’s Fort Canning Park. We can easily visit there any time of the day. The trails are mostly covered by trees, it is well shaded even in the middle of a sunny day. The trails wind through the small hill, branch out or intersect, allowing us to get up close to many of the hill’s natural habitats.

The Flowers

I am drawn to their vibrant colors and unique shapes. I could not tell most of the flowers, and have to rely on an app SEEK which helped me to identify over 20 species in the park. Many have very interesting names.




Here are close up of some of the flowers.

Bamboo Orchid

Beach Spider Lily

Crepe Ginger

Hanging Lobster Claw

Parrot's Beak

Peacock Flower

Red Button Ginger


The Trees

The majestic tree trunks and intricate root systems make us wonder at the nature’s creativity.

Webbed tree trunk

Earpod Tree - other plants grow in the earpod 



Ariel roots grow top down


Cannonball tree - the fruit really looks like a cannon ball

The Fruits

The fruits dropped on the ground led me to look up and find its source.






No comments:

Post a Comment