Friday, July 30, 2021

Bird Watching at Fort Canning

Every time we  run or jog at Fort Canning park, I hear bird chirpings all around but I can barely see any bird because birds are staying high in the densely leafed trees, and they camouflage very well.  When they are in flight, I see only their silhouette. The exceptions include the ubiquitous Javan Mynah, the roaming red jungle fowls or the pigeons - which can be easily spotted in or out of the park. For the sake of sighting record: On a drizzling day, I saw a white breasted waterhen while strolling at  Istana park 

Javan Mynah

Red Jungle Fowls

White Breasted Waterhen @ Istana Park

Two weeks ago, a beautiful Sunday morning, we went to Fort Canning for the sole purpose of bird watching. With my Sony alpha  camera which is equipped with an entry level tele lens, I hoped to see some birds.

Once we got on to the trail from Clemenceau entrance I could hear many birds in big trees, looking up I saw nothing! I paused walking, looked up again, and followed the chirping. I saw small birds, with light color chest, and grey feathers hopping from branch to branch, pecking at blooming flowers, and drinking  nectars. I snapped away, took many pictures but mostly with blurry images of the birds except a handful. The birds are warbling white-eyes.

As we walked into the park, we heard bird chirpings only occasionally. It was mid morning already, not  the best time for bird watching. Nevertheless we marched on. I saw a large plant with flower ahead of me. It is a flowering banana, Musa ornata. Looked at it again, I saw a bird with dark head, bright yellow breast! It did not chirp, kept hopping around the flower for better positions to drink nectar. When I got closer, it flew away before I could get a good picture of it. There are a lot of Musa Ornata at Pancur Larangan, or Forbidden Spring. While enjoying the views, a bird flew onto one of the flowering banana, and then a second. We got a feast for eyes, and took many pictures - Lily took the good ones shown here. This is brown-throated sun bird.

I saw a couple other birds, either too far for a good picture for bird identification, or no picure at all. As we were heading back, I saw a bird flew overhead, and perched on a tree branch in a tree some 10 meters away. I could see it well, but only a silhouette to my eyes. Lily actually could not spot it!!  The camera, with its high zoom, got a better view of the bird for us. It was a forest kingfisher.

Notes

1. Total of 6 new species are added to my personal bird sighting list.  
2. Curiosity and patience are key to bird watching, additionally
  • Be quiet. Birds are easily startled by loud noises and will flee to cover.
  • Avoid sudden movements. Just as loud noises startle birds, so does sudden movement.
  • Follow the crowd.
  • Study habitat.
  • Work the flocks. 


Warbling White-eye

Warbling White-eye

Warbling White-eye

Brown-throated Sun Bird







Forest Kingfisher - zoomed in

Forest Kingfisher in a big tree - can you see it?


No comments:

Post a Comment