Saturday, June 2, 2012

Chihuly at the Dallas Arboretum - by Nicholas

Last Saturday morning my family went to the Dallas Arboretum to see glass sculptures made by Artist Dale Chihuly as well as the multitude of plants that fill in the 66-acre garden. Upon our arrival, after a 40 minute drive we entered the Arboretum and proceeded to see many beautiful multi-colored glass sculptures in colors such as red, yellow, white, black, orange, green and purple.
The many plants complemented the sculptures beside them and also the sculptures in the small ponds spread throughout the large garden. We spent most of our time walking around thoroughly examining all the colorful flowers and glass and taking pictures. Many works of Chihuly astounded me,  from the large Yellow Icicle Tower to the Sun and the Dallas Star. There were also surprising things like Mirrored Hornets, a greenish- gold sculpture in  the water which contained small traces of uranium to make it shine/glow a bit and extremely simple looking things like Red Reeds, Green and White Striped Reeds  along with Black and White Striped Reeds which also surprised me merely because they seemed to be too simple . Some glass simply looked strikingly colorful with bright brilliant colors.

However my favorite  one was the glass sculpture that, on its own, looked extremely exquisite and colorful, the Dallas Star. A brilliant blue glass in the center made it seem to glow and the tips of all the points protruding from the star were clear, and reflected light as if it were emitting it. Over the long path I also gazed at several plants which I also liked. It taught me some of the proper (scientific) names of several plants and let me look properly at the plants in a new light. My favorite plant, I believe was a plant called Whale's Tongue Agave or Agave ovatifolia, an interesting plant that looked like this, which I liked it because it was rather unique.



          Looking at the plants and glass sculptures really was fun and I had a terrific time walking around and seeing everything. I enjoyed seeing Chihuly’s work

No comments:

Post a Comment