Sunday, October 21, 2018

Autumn is Coming

After weeks of incessant rain, I felt grateful and lucky to have this beautiful weekend. The Sun is bright, the land is dry, the air is fresh and crisp! Due to running races yesterday,  I forwent my regular Sunday 5K run, walked around the community for ~ 3 miles instead to enjoy the beautiful morning.

The community pound is absolutely the most beautiful place around here.


The pound was full, the water was still like a mirror, reflecting trees, clouds and the blue sky; it reminded me the beautiful Ox Bend at Grand Teton National Park. Some trees started to change color. Mostly interestingly a grand egret, and a grey heron, frequent guests at the pound, perched on top of tree branches of the same tree! My observation was that they typically stand by water's edge, far from each other. Was it because it rained too  much they need to dry their feathers? I saw grand egret perched on top of trees before at this pound. But both of them on the same tree? first time. I took quite a few of pictures of them from different angles and different distance, and when I was about to take another shot, the grand egret was gone, left the grey heron behind with its beak open .... What a treat on this beautiful day!

As I walked home, in addition to changing colors on some trees, I saw a flock of birds flying southward, in a shape of lambda ! Autumn is coming.


changing color

Grand egret and grey heron on the same tree by the pound

A grey heron with mouth open

migrating birds flying south

No comments:

Post a Comment