Sunday, December 1, 2019

Salt Lake City - photo journal

I visited Salt Lake City (SLC)  in Early November for ASME annual convention. 
Temple square is the most visited place in Salt Lake city. The center piece of  the temple square is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,  Mormon church HQ. It is very beautiful, especially at night. I enjoyed the architecture, garden and the museum. One thing I felt creepy is that there were so many missionaries standing around in black.   
Salt Palace - the convention center of salt lake city (SLC), where I attended IMECE 2019, International Mechanical engineering conference and exhibit. I attended the conference and presented a paper. The main purpose of my visit to SLC. 
State Capitol is about a mile away from my hotel at SLC. There is a promenade surrounding the capitol, great for jogging or running. There are a few sculptures  at the east side of the building, and two memorials at west side, one for police killed on duty, and one for soldiers died in Vietnam war.  I visited there a couple of times - one in the afternoon, one in the dusk
I hiked to summit of Ensign peak - a mountain of religious significance for the Mormon church. The round trip from trail head to the summit is only 1 mile. The peak is not the highest point of the mountain range,

View of the mountain ranges surrounding SLC, where many ski resorts reside. Because of the surrounding mountains, SLC itself actually is frequently in a haze - especially when there is no wind and rain.

Liberty park is highlighted as must go place in SLC. It is actually a big community park, nothing special there.
I stayed at SLC for 5 days, and I brought my running shoes and cloth for my week day run there. After getting familiar with SLC downtown and my conference schedule, I decided to run on the early morning of Nov 13 from my hotel to Capitol hill, There was no early morning session on that day at the conference. It was a freezing cold morning (~ 32F), and the run to the capitol hill was an uphill run, very tiring, and I had to stop at many cross sections. I ran 5 km round trip, and finished in 35 minutes, 5 minutes longer time than my typical pace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment