Friday, March 11, 2022

Hamburg Impression - by Lily

A business trip brought me to Europe last week during ongoing pandemic in the world and escalating war at Ukraine!  First stop Hamburg.

It was only when I arrived at Hamburg did I realize that I did not do any research for sightseeing. 

I arrived at Hamburg by car at night. The harbor night scene took me by surprise. I had no idea Hamburg city is actually a port by River Elbe. My hotel was only 2 minutes of walk from there. So despite the evening coldness I walked over and took a few quick shots.

Hamburg Night

Luckily my German colleagues planned some sightseeing for me after work for the next couple of days. Dr. Segger, a colleague, is an energetic lady and is passionate about the city’s architecture/history. On our way to dinner, she introduced and showed me to landmarks like Laeiszhalle (the old music hall), Rathausmarkt (central square of Hamburg), St. Michael’s church, Elbphiharmonie, and some other old historical buildings. 


Laeiszhalle

Rathausmarkt

I tried the most traditional local dish, labscous, it was a fried egg on top of mashed beetroot, beautiful looking and delicious! After dinner, we enjoyed a river boat tour in bitter coldness.

Labscous - traditional German dish

On River Elbe in a Cruise

Hamburg Port at Night

The last morning turned out to be a beautiful day. The sun came out early and cheery. Following Dr. Segger’s suggestion I walked to the Elbtunnel to check it out. Walking along the Elbe River under the morning sunshine was chilly but enjoyable. Morning sunshine seemed to wake up all the buildings adding a unique hue to all. The Elbtunnel was a 426-meter-long tube 24-meter underneath the river Elbe and built in 1911, quite a technical sensation at the time.  I took the elevator down, walked one way and ran the other, before heading back. 

St Michael's Church in the morning

Elbe in the city

Hamburg port in the morning

Hamburg port in the morning -2


Elbtunnel


No comments:

Post a Comment