Saturday, October 29, 2022

White-Crested Laughingthrush

We saw this cute bird about two years ago when we first visited Bukit Batok Nature Park. Last week we went there again and I wished I could see the cute birds again. While we were walking around I heard bird calls sounded like theirs, but I saw none.

As we walked onto a paved narrow path, a group of white crested laughingthrushes were there right in front of us, flying in and out of woods, and a couple of them walking along the trail towards us, eating insects in the fallen leaves. One flew right in front of my eyes and landed on a tree branch at my eye level a couple of meters away, and then started preening. I saw it clearly - white crest on its head, red eyes, broad, elongated black eye mask, black beak, black legs, red brownish feathers. 

I took out my Sony Alpha, and snapped away. I stood there still. It did not notice me, and preened itself freely and thoroughly, occasionally raised its head to look around. I was so still, another thrush walked towards me, only inches away from my feet! I did not know until Lily told me about it. I aimed my camera toward the one by my feet.

It was a highlight of our pleasant day there. I made a short video from the photos with music soundtrack.









A juvenile thrush by my feet 






No comments:

Post a Comment