Saturday, October 22, 2022

Stonehenge

Stonehenge is a prehistoric stone monument  about 90 miles west of London. It was constructed about 3000 BC to 2000BC, likely used for religious ceremonials. It constitutes of vertical stone columns ~ 13feet tall, with horizontal stone slabs on top of the vertical columns. A unique feature of Stonehenge is that its structure is aligned to the sunrise of summer solstice and sunset of winter solstice.

Despite seeing Stonehenge on postcards, national geographic documentary, I was still mesmerized by it when I was there in person. It sits on a vast open land - a simple abstract being with nothing else around it for kilometers, revering people walking slowly around it in solemn silence. 


Stonehenge - viewed from northeast

I got there at a good time, it was sunny and with clouds moving in and out, adding the variation to this monument. British heritage foundation has done a great job to keep the site free of commercial buildings encroaching on it. The only commercial building is the visitor center about a mile away and well designed to fade in the surrounding.

I went there solo with a tour group from London, and had only about 40 minutes at the site, more than enough to walk around to take pictures but no time for immersion into the environment. I walked around slowly, and asked a few solo tourists at the site to take pictures for me, and in return taking pictures for them. 

If I have gone there by myself, I would go to the exhibits at visitor center to know the Stonehenge better both historically and culturally. I would walk to the Stonehenge instead of taking a shuttle (to save time for my tour). I would also sit on a stone bench or grasses to immerse into the environment for a few minutes.  

Standing in front of the Stonehenge at its northwest side

 





a ranch north of the Stonehenge


open land around the Stonehenge




No comments:

Post a Comment