Sunday, April 16, 2023

Idyllic Rimba Resort

Rimba Resort is nestled on the northern tip of Pulau Sibu, an island located about 10km east of mainland Malaysia. The resort is surrounded by hills on three sides, providing a serene atmosphere. Our sea view chalet, located at the eastern end of the beach, is just steps away from the shallow shores.

The chalet was immersed in the green of tropical plants.  I was waken up by chorus of the chirping of birds at dawn everyday we were there. The second morning, I got up during the birds' dawn chorus, and took binocular and camera with me, walking into the early morning sea breeze.

our chalet at Dawn

The small hill in east block the view of Sun

I was the only person on the beach, strolling in the clear shallow water of the seashore at low tide.

clear water (at later time of the day)

A red boat with a person in red outfit fishing was at a  distance in the sea. 

On the shore side, the chalets stood silently in the tropical plants, with no trace of people. There were still bird sounds here and there in the woods, but I could barely spot a bird except a flock quietly sitting on top of a tall tree.

a flock of birds resting on top of a tree

A white bellied sea eagle quietly glided into the view, just when clouds broke up, soaring magnificently. I heard white-bellied sea eagle calls a few times earlier from eastern side of the chalet, but could not see the eagle nest or eagles in the dense trees.

Magpie robin, was easily spotted, as it perched on a low tree branch whistling sweetly.

An unknown bird sound drew me to a pine tree. I  located a fat brownish bird. In fact there were two more similar birds there. Later we decided that it was just a pigeon viewed from a peculiar angle.

I was pretty sure that there were collared king fishers, because I heard its unique successive loud, and rattling "kek-kek-kek-kek-kek" sound. I walked up and down the beach, but could not catch a sight of it. I did  see a collared king fisher later at western side seashore of Pulau Sibu when we were kayaking.

white-bellied sea eagle 

Magpie Robin Singing at beach front

a fat brown bird

Can you see the kingfisher? blue feathered back with white collar neck. 

We also saw a few other birds at other times.

A tiny twitting bird visited the coconut tree by our chalet, feasting on coconut flower. It turned out to be an olive backed sunbird.

a olive backed sunbird drinking nectar of coconut flowers

I also saw a black bird with an orange eyelid, I thought I saw a new specie bird, but not, it was common mynah - most common bird in the area! I never noticed that it has such a distinctive eyelid before despite see it everyday!

Common Mynah - a good looking bird regarded as a pest because they noisy


Sun rose in the east and the moon was setting in the west. I was on the seashore and beach for over an hour. Lily came out of the chalet joined me to enjoy this beautiful morning at the island.

Tropical flora, chirping birds, quiet sea, this place is indeed an idyllic retreat.

Setting Moon over the island

low tide







No comments:

Post a Comment