Saturday, August 3, 2013

White Peaches

I did not try to tell the difference between peach and nectarine until I ate a white peach - which was soft, juicy and incredibly delicious.

That memory of the distinct delicious taste stays with me.

A couple weeks ago, I saw boxes of  beautiful large white peaches at a supermarket. I recommended to Lily that we buy some. She hesitated a bit - only she and I eat peaches, the boys don't, but she bought some anyway.

My first bite into a big white peach disappointed me - it was hard, not juicy at all. I told Lily that I expected the white peach to be juicy and soft. She said that everyone said that white peach was hard. I told her my past experience. She thought about it for a moment, and decided that it must be related to the degree of ripeness of the peach.

To make the white peach juicy, we had to ripen it further. We placed a cluster  bananas on top of peaches to accelerate the ripening process. After a couple of days, the peaches felt soft! I washed one, bite into it - peach juice was dripping, the flesh was incredibly tasty - exactly what I remembered what it should taste and feel! Lily bites into the white peach, she was just as impressed as I was.


She called the boys to taste white peaches. They were reluctant to try, so she said: just give it a bite, if you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. After a bite, neither of them stopped  eating - they actually finished their white peaches in no time!

So we bought a few more white peaches last week, went through the same ripening process, we got juicy softly delicious white peaches again. The downside of this process is that when  a white peach is ripe - feels soft in particular, one has to eat it quickly, or put it in refrigerator, otherwise it will spoil.

A refrigerated ripe white peach is a treat for me in this hot summer.

-----
update note:

At a supermarket this morning, we bought a case of  white peaches, but I thought that we bought a case of nectarines since they are placed side by side.Lily pointed out to me that we bought white peaches, not nectarines. In fact  I mixed nectarine and peach earlier as well.  So I checked literature about the difference between nectarines and peaches:


Peaches and nectarines are the same species, even though they are regarded commercially as different fruits. Nectarines have an orange center and faint fuzz, while peaches have white centers and very fuzzy skin; genetic studies suggest nectarines are produced due to a recessive allele, whereas peaches are produced from dominant allele for fuzzy skin. Nectarine is called shaved peach or fuzz less peach



No comments:

Post a Comment