Sunday, April 2, 2017

STEM and daily life

As an engineer, STEM - science, technology, engineering, math - is part of my job. It is exciting and interesting to explore new concepts, develop new technology, solve complex engineering problems; it is tremendously satisfying to see ideas turned into new products, complex problems solved that benefit society and human being,

It is equally fun and exciting when we use our aptitude, capabilities developed in STEM training to answer questions in our daily life, to solve problems around the house. The following is a collection of our recent blogs about STEM in daily life.

Science

One major aspect of science in my daily life was to answer the curious questions of my children when they were very young, and my own curiosity about nature from what I observe or what I read  in media.

We pondered butterflies life during a camping trip, and returned home reading a big book about butterflies and were amazed of the richness of their life. When Nicolas figured out how to play "Space Force" toy by trial and error, I figured out its physics along the way. When we tried to make a flat ice surface from a cup of water in the freezer, we got unexpected observation, we went ahead to study the process of freezing water. I am very excited every time I find answers to my questions  or gain a better understanding of nature after small studies or "research".

I also frequently check the sources or study the science behind some  news reports - not blindly rely on the interpretation of reporters, be it playing music from wine glasses, reasons and causes of big subject such as global climate change, or small topic such as sunscreen or sensational titles about science related subjects such as GMO - genetically modified organism.




Freezing




Glaciers, Ice Ages and Climate Change




Technology/Engineering

Most people hire contractors  to fix problems around the houses. I do most of times as well. But I like to try to figure out the root cause of the problems first, and from time to time when I figured out the root cause, I got a solution too! My most popular blog about Central AC in two-story houses was an outcome of root cause analysis and reasoning from knowledge of physics - I got a very effective and economical solution. Other times I guided repair technicians to fix my problems.

I have had so much fun with STEM I try to make young students interested in STEM - I gave speech about STEM at an elementary school, I am also involved in promoting STEM in communities through volunteering at a non-profit organization.








Math

Math seems to be far away from daily life but it is not. Probability of an event happening, statistics of big data, traffic pattern and traffic lights control, encryption of electronic messages ....

The most fundamental function of math to non mathematicians is to develop problem solving skills, to enable logical thinking, and to build the foundation for science, technology and engineering.

Interesting Facts about Triangles






No comments:

Post a Comment